Advanced Epidural & Lumbar Puncture Model (Light Skin Tone)
The Advanced Epidural & Lumbar Puncture trainer is suitable for use in Clinical Skills Centres, where both early postgraduate medical and anaesthesia specialisms are taught. Trainees are at a more advanced stage of training, and great realism and the ability to practice on a variety of patients is essential for continued learning.
What are the latest features that support training in administering lumbar punctures?
In training sessions, medical students will get a true to life experience, including:
- A distinctive “pop” when puncturing the Dura (using the standard Dura) during a lumbar puncture procedure or more subtle feedback when using the advanced Dura.
- Measurable cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) pressure, model can present realistic pressure between 5 to 25 cmH2O
- Realistic flow of fluid from the water reservoir, increasing the volume of water will increase the flow rate allowing for quicker training
What are the latest features that support training in epidural procedures?
- Ligamentum flavum and interspinous ligaments allow for more realistic haptic feedback and practice of loss of resistance techniques during needle insertion.
- 6mm epidural space between the insert and the dura enable practice threading an epidural catheter and administering fluids
- Softer silicone on either side of the spine offers greater realism and the paramedian approach is easier to perform
- Four epidural inserts are supplied with this model, the advanced insert has a steeper angle with a reduced epidural space, allowing practice of more difficult injections
The advanced model comes with three fat pads that can be inserted behind the Skin Pad. Used individually or in combination, they can simulate patients with different amounts of body fat, allowing trainees to practice varying difficulties of injection.
To ensure that ongoing costs remain low, this trainer comes with two LP Tissue Inserts, two standard Epidural and two advanced Epidural Inserts. This makes for a more cost-effective way to train large numbers of students. Inserts are easily interchangeable and offer a variety of training scenarios.
If you are looking to train in ultrasound guided lumbar puncture and epidural procedures, take a look at our Ultrasound Epidural & Lumbar Puncture Model.
- Simulator gives a distinctive “pop” feeling when puncturing the dura during a lumbar puncture procedure
- Durable lumbar tissue insert and duras are longer lasting, increasing life span and keeping on going costs down
- Needle insertion possible between vertebrae
- Ability to feel when the dura is punctured during lumbar puncture
- Realistic rate of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) can be simulated
- Fat pads can be inserted to vary the patient form
- All epidural and lumbar puncture inserts are compatible with the common base
- Skin and duras can be rotated to extend their life span and ensure cost effective training
- The stand provided allows for training in left lateral and sitting positions
- Drain all fluid from the product when not in use
- Clean lumbar puncture trainer with a damp cloth, using warm water and mild detergent
- Allow trainer to completely dry before storing
- This product is latex free
- This product can be used with a simulated patient to develop communication skills
- Palpable sacrum
- Iliac crests
- Lumbar vertebrae between L2 and L5 with spinous processes
- Ligamentum flavum
- Interspinous Ligament
- Identifying the iliac crests
- Administering of local anaesthetic injections
- Administering of therapeutic treatments, e.g. antibiotics or chemotherapy medication
- Performing diagnostic lumbar punctures
- Collection and measurement of cerebrospinal fluid
- Performing procedures in a sitting and left lateral position
- Administration of an epidural
Water Reservoir 2Ltr
Product No. 61022Learn more
Lumbar Puncture Insert – Bone
Product No. 61010Learn more
Lumbar Puncture Insert - Tissue (Pack of 2)
Product No. 61011Learn more
Epidural Insert (Pack of 2)
Product No. 61012Learn more
Advanced Epidural Insert (Pack of 2)
Product No. 61013Learn more
Epidural & Lumbar Puncture Skin Pad (Light Skin Tone)
Product No. 61015Learn more
Epidural & Lumbar Puncture Fat Pad (Pack of 3)
Product No. 61016Learn more
Epidural & Lumbar Puncture Standard Dura (Pack of 2)
Product No. 61017Learn more
Epidural & Lumbar Puncture Advanced Dura (Pack of 4)
Product No. 61018Learn more
Epidural & Lumbar Puncture Iliac Crest Insert
Product No. 61019Learn more
Epidural & Lumbar Puncture Insert Cartridge
Product No. 61020Learn more
Epidural & Lumbar Puncture Sacral Insert (Light Skin Tone)
Product No. 61021Learn more
|-||Torso with Torso Skin||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|-||Epidural & Lumbar Puncture Stand||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|61010||Lumbar Puncture Insert - Bone||Yes||Yes||No|
|61011||Lumbar Puncture Insert - Tissue (x2)||Yes||Yes||No|
|61012||Epidural Insert (x2)||Yes||No||No|
|61013||Advanced Epidural Insert (x2)||Yes||No||No|
|61014||Epidural & Lumbar Puncture Ultrasound Insert||No||No||Yes|
|61015||Epidural & Lumbar Puncture Skin Pad||Yes||Yes||No|
|61016||Epidural & Lumbar Puncture Fat Pad (x3)||Yes||No||No|
|61017||Epidural & Lumbar Puncture Standard Dura (x2)||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|61018||Epidural & Lumbar Puncture Advanced Dura (x4)||Yes||No||Yes|
|61019||Epidural & Lumbar Puncture Iliac Crest Insert||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|61020||Epidural & Lumbar Puncture Insert Cartridge||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|61021||Epidural & Lumbar Puncture Sacral Insert||Yes||Yes||No|
Foundation Curriculum, 2012 (Updated for 2014), p.51
Core Medical Trainees
Specialty Training Curriculum for Core Medical Training, 2019 (Amended 2013), p.63
CCT (Certificate of Completion of Training) in Anaesthetics, Annex B Core Level Training, 2010, p.48
Anaesthesia Trainees and those who completed their formal training before the introduction of ultrasound
Ultrasound in Anaesthesia and Intensive Care: A Guide to Training, 2011, p.17
Emergency Medicine Specialist Trainees
The Royal College of Emergency Medicine, Curriculum and Assessment Systems For Training in Emergency Medicine, 2015, p.144
Neurology Specialist Trainees
Specialty Training Curriculum for Neurology, 2010 (Amended 2013), p.22
Infectious Diseases Specialist Trainees
Curriculum for Specialty Training in Infectious Diseases, 2014, p.71
Acute Care Common Stem Trainees
Acute Care Common Stem Core Training Program, Curriculum and Assessment System, 2012, p.103
Interventional Radiology Specialty Training Curriculum, The Royal College of Radiologists, 2019. Guided Lumbar Puncture, Epidural
What is the difference between the standard and advanced duras supplied with this simulator?
The Standard Duras are designed to provide a more noticeable “pop” so trainees get a clear confirmation that the dura has been punctured.
The Advanced versions are more realistic and therefore suitable for use in scenarios where the dura is not intended to be punctured.
Does this model allow for different positioning of the torso?
Yes. All the lumbar puncture and epidural simulators can be positioned for midline and left lateral procedures.
Are the models able to represent different patient body types?
Yes. The Advanced trainer comes with two Advanced Epidural Inserts that feature a steeper angle to the spinous processes. As well as the skin pad, this model is supplied with Fat Pads that can be used to simulate a variety of body sizes.