NMC Future nurse: Standards of proficiency for registered nurses, 17 May 2018, p.35 6.2 insert,manage and remove catheters for all genders; and assist with self-catheterisation when required
6.3 manage bladder drainage
RCN Catheter Care Guidance for Health Care Professionals, Feb 2019
p.5 Competence suite:
1. Insert and secure urethral catheters.
2. Monitor, and help individuals to self-monitor, urethral catheters.
3. Manage suprapubic catheters.
5. Enable individuals to carry out intermittent self-catheterisation.
Practice recommendations (p.11)
The suggested structure for gaining competence in catheterisation ...
• Observe model/manikin being catheterised.
• Practise catheterisation on a model/manikin under supervision until confident.
• Be able to catheterise without direct supervision.
12. Intermittent Self-Catheterisation (p.35)
Teaching Intermittent self catheterisation
• Use models to demonstrate catheter insertion and removal.